Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I split the child care costs with my ex?Our kids go to the same daycare he pays for 1 i pay for the other.daycare doesnt split pmts &only gave us 1 stmt for both kids

We have 2 kids. They go to the same daycare. The daycare counts both kids as a family even though I pay for one and he pays for the other and they live in seperate households. The daycare combines the payments on one account. I know how much I paid for our 2 year old who I am claiming and lives with me, he knows how much he paid for our 10 year old who he is claiming and lives with him. If the statement for care is 4568 can i claim 3424 for the child i paid for and he can claim 1144 for the child he paid for?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Can I split the child care costs with my ex?Our kids go to the same daycare he pays for 1 i pay for the other.daycare doesnt split pmts &only gave us 1 stmt for both kids

If you each have a child claimed as a dependent, and who lives with each of you separately, then you could each claim child care for the child who lives with you.  Each of you should only claim the amount you paid for the child who lived with you.with you.  child care is deductible if paid to allow that parent to work.  Amounts paid for a child not living with you are not claimed to allow that parent to work.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

If you each have a child claimed as a dependent, and who lives with each of you separately, then you could each claim child care for the child who lives with you.  Each of you should only claim the amount you paid for the child who lived with you.with you.  child care is deductible if paid to allow that parent to work.  Amounts paid for a child not living with you are not claimed to allow that parent to work.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies