Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jrb90
Returning Member

Can I itemize deductions to a dependent parent?

Hello!

My wife and I support her mom financially. She lives on her own but we pay rent and her other expenses - she qualifies as our dependent.

My question is... In Turbotax I see that we get a $500 credit for listing my mother in law as a dependent, but are we able to itemize the payments we've given her for a larger deduction? The majority of what we pay for are housing, food, gas, car insurance. In 2023 it equated to about $18,000.

If we are able to deduct the $18,000, could someone point me where this would be in Turbotax? I swear I've clicked through close to 10 times now, haha. 🙂

Thank you!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

No.   You can get the $500 credit for other dependents if you claim your MIL.  You do not get to enter any other expenses you paid on her behalf with the exception of any medical expenses you paid for her.  You do not get to deduct her insurance, rent, her utility bills, food, etc. etc.   Sorry.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, you can't deduct the amount you pay to support a dependent. 

One exception is medical, dental, and prescription costs. If you pay these costs for her, you can deduct them along with the medical, dental, and prescription expenses for yourselves. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jrb90
Returning Member

No worries - thank you!

jrb90
Returning Member

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies