turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I include expenses I paid for improving land somewhere in the other income portion so it goes against the total profit? I sold it and buyer purchased it outright.

I sold the bare land for 95k more than i bought it 3 yrs ago, and that's what I'm being taxed on. However, my actual gains after improvements, like putting in a well, are more like 30k. Is there a way to to only be taxed on actual profit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Can I include expenses I paid for improving land somewhere in the other income portion so it goes against the total profit? I sold it and buyer purchased it outright.

Yes, you would include the land improvements such as your well installation as part of the cost of the property.  Add that cost to your original cost basis when entering the sale and the gain will reflect the difference in gain.  

This answer assumes this is investment property and was not part of a business property such as residential rental or part of a business.

Land is considered investment property if it is not part of a home sale.  Land sales are reported by using the following instruction.

1. Federal tab, then Wages & Income, then scroll down to Investment Income and select Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  2. Respond "yes" to Did you sell any investments?  You'll then be asked Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement? answer "no."
  3. Enter one sale at a time
  4. Enter Land Sale Information Be aware of the tiny box that says "Reported sales price did not deduct all fees of selling expenses," as it must be checked if applicable to you.
  5. Continue to follow the prompts to complete your sale
  6. See the image below for assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies