lowens41

Can I get credit for out of pocket spending to restore my property after Hurricane Harvey?

Marketstar

To deduct a casualty loss (ie. from a hurricane), you must itemize your deductions on Schedule A. The amount of your deduction is limited to the amount of the loss that exceeds 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income after a $100 deductible

As an example if you had a $5,000 property loss,and your Adjusted Gross Income is $40,000, your resultr would be as follows

After deducting $100, you are left with $4, 900 which is $900 above 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income of $4,000.

Your deduction would therefore be $900

To claim a property loss

To deduct a casualty loss:

·        Type in casualty loss in the search box, top right of your screen, click the

magnifying glass

·        Click the jump to casualty loss link in the search results

·        Follow to prompts and online instructions

Marketstar

Your deduction would therefore be $900

To claim a property loss

To deduct a casualty loss:

magnifying glass