Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xcaret16

Can I get credit for a donation contribution through the go fund me requests online?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Can I get credit for a donation contribution through the go fund me requests online?

You can claim an itemized deduction for a charitable contribution through GoFundMe or similar sites, only if the recipient of the funds is a bona fide charitable organization. The IRS maintains a cumulative list of organizations that are eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions. You may use the IRS Exempt Organizations Select Check tool to search for the organization to which you are donating.

You should be aware that there are numerous "good causes" out there that solicit funds through GoFundMe and similar sites. Not being listed with the IRS does not mean that a cause is not worthy of your support; it simply means that you cannot get a tax deduction for your contribution. As always, you should satisfy yourself that a request for support is legitimate before parting with your money.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

You can claim an itemized deduction for a charitable contribution through GoFundMe or similar sites, only if the recipient of the funds is a bona fide charitable organization. The IRS maintains a cumulative list of organizations that are eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions. You may use the IRS Exempt Organizations Select Check tool to search for the organization to which you are donating.

You should be aware that there are numerous "good causes" out there that solicit funds through GoFundMe and similar sites. Not being listed with the IRS does not mean that a cause is not worthy of your support; it simply means that you cannot get a tax deduction for your contribution. As always, you should satisfy yourself that a request for support is legitimate before parting with your money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies