Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morganpeak
New Member

Can I enter in only unreimbursed mileage instead of total miles?

My work only reimburses us for part of the standard mileage rate.  Is there a way for me to only enter in the difference instead of having to enter in beginning mileage, ending mileage, total miles, etc.  None of that is needed and would not be accurate.  For example, they reimbursed us for 60%, I just want to claim the remaining 40%.
1 Reply
Phillip1
New Member

Can I enter in only unreimbursed mileage instead of total miles?

The way the software works is to take the total mileage figure and the amount that you were reimbursed and reduce the allowable deduction by the reimbursement amount.

If you don't want to enter the total business mileage and skip entering the reimbursements in that section, you could extrapolate the mileage amount down to the unreimbursed portion by taking the total business mileage and multiplying it by the percent unreimbursed - .40 (or 40%). For example, if you had 10,000 miles you would enter 4,000 miles into TurboTax.

You would need to keep mileage documentation for the next 7 years in case of an examination.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v