turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jjomfs

Can I deduct up-front Mortgage Insurance for a FHA loan for a house bought in 2017

What if I already filed without deducting mortgage insurance this year? Can I go back and amend?

Can I deduct up-front Mortgage Insurance for a FHA loan for a house bought in 2017

Update: The mortgage insurance deduction was turned on in the program for 2017 as of February 22.

@mbearmandavid For a prepaid lump sum, you can deduct it over 84 months, 12/84ths this year if you made 12 payments.  Currently, the deduction expires as of Dec 31, 2017 so this is the last year you can deduct mortgage insurance unless Congress extends it again.  If you don't use up the entire amount because the deduction is not renewed before you claim all 84 months, then you just lose the rest of the deduction.

@jjomfs If you already filed your tax return, you can file an amended return to claim the additional tax deduction.  However, wait until your first tax return is processed and your refunds paid, in case the IRS makes any adjustments that you need to take into account.  Remember that amended returns must be printed and mailed in, and take 4-5 months to process.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies