Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BillZ48

Can I deduct the cost of a new air-conditioning and heating system as a medical expense?

My wife has severe allergies and I could get a doctor's note. As part of the purchase, we bought a media filter and a UV light which reduce the number of allergens.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Can I deduct the cost of a new air-conditioning and heating system as a medical expense?

Yes but you would only be able to deduct the portion that was not a capital improvement to your residence. Here is an example, an allergist recommends installing an air cleaning system for your wife with allergies. The costs add up to $15,000, and your home’s value increases by $12,000. The allowable medical deduction is only $3,000.

Additionally, all your medical expenses combined would need to be more than 10% of your AGI (7.5% if you are over 65) or you will not be able to deduct any of these medical expenses. TurboTax will guide you on entering all of your medical expenses so include everything you paid out-of-pocket including prescriptions, glasses, dentist bills, etc.

Here is a link for more information:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/-Can-I-Claim-Medical-Expen...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

Yes but you would only be able to deduct the portion that was not a capital improvement to your residence. Here is an example, an allergist recommends installing an air cleaning system for your wife with allergies. The costs add up to $15,000, and your home’s value increases by $12,000. The allowable medical deduction is only $3,000.

Additionally, all your medical expenses combined would need to be more than 10% of your AGI (7.5% if you are over 65) or you will not be able to deduct any of these medical expenses. TurboTax will guide you on entering all of your medical expenses so include everything you paid out-of-pocket including prescriptions, glasses, dentist bills, etc.

Here is a link for more information:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/-Can-I-Claim-Medical-Expen...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies