Solved: Can I deduct the cost of a new air-conditioning and heating system as a medical expense?

BillZ48

Can I deduct the cost of a new air-conditioning and heating system as a medical expense?

My wife has severe allergies and I could get a doctor's note. As part of the purchase, we bought a media filter and a UV light which reduce the number of allergens.

DS30

Yes but you would only be able to deduct the portion that was not a capital improvement to your residence. Here is an example, an allergist recommends installing an air cleaning system for your wife with allergies. The costs add up to $15,000, and your home’s value increases by $12,000. The allowable medical deduction is only $3,000.

Additionally, all your medical expenses combined would need to be more than 10% of your AGI (7.5% if you are over 65) or you will not be able to deduct any of these medical expenses. TurboTax will guide you on entering all of your medical expenses so include everything you paid out-of-pocket including prescriptions, glasses, dentist bills, etc.

Here is a link for more information:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/-Can-I-Claim-Medical-Expen...

DS30

Here is a link for more information: