Can I deduct my vehicle registration fee as a resident in the state of Tennessee?

No, you cannot deduct the vehicle registration fees if you registered your car and paid the fees in Tennessee.  

Per law, you can only deduct the registration fees if  the state charged you for taxes based on the value of your vehicle and Tennessee is not one of the allowed states. See below.   However, if you live in a state that doesn't tax the value of your car, but you paid car registration fees in a state that does, you may be able to get this deduction.

Below is a list of states that charge a tax based on the vehicle’s value:

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Indiana
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • South Carolina
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

-To find out more about your state’s vehicle registration deduction, contact your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles.