turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

spdoobay

Can I deduct my father's medical expenses i paid out of pocket for on my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I deduct my father's medical expenses i paid out of pocket for on my tax return?

Is he your tax dependent?
DS30

You can deduct medical costs you pay directly to medical service providers for another person according to the following rules:

• If you pay medical expenses for someone you do not claim as a dependent on your income tax return, you can deduct those expenses if:
    • He or she either lived with you for the entire year as a member of your household.
    • He or she is related to you (as described in the section  Who's a Relative).
    • He or she was a U.S. citizen or legal resident, or was a resident of Canada or Mexico, for some part of the year.
    • You provided over half of his or her support for the year

Please refer to this following link for more information: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Tax-Exemptions-and-Deductions-for-Families/INF...

Additionally, you could claim your parent as dependent even if they don't live with you for the entire year as long as they meet the qualifying relative test:

An individual must meet all 4 of these requirements in order to be considered your Qualifying Relative:

1. Not a Qualifying Child: The individual cannot be your Qualifying Child and cannot be someone else's Qualifying Child. They are a Qualifying Child if they meet all the requirements, whether or not they are claimed as a dependent
  2. Relationship: The person must either have lived with you for the entire year as a member of the household (a person who is not actually related to you may meet the requirements in this way), or be related to you in one of the following ways: your child, stepchild, grandchild or other descendant of one of your children (or stepchildren or foster children), son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, parent, stepfather, stepmother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, grandparent, and, if related by blood, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew. Remember that a child whom you legally adopted is always considered to be your child. Also note that, for the purposes of this requirement, divorce or death does not change any relationship which was established by marriage (e.g. son-in-law, daughter-in-law, etc.)
  3. Gross Income: The person must have made less than $4,000 in gross income during 2015.
  4. Support: You must have provided more than half of the individual's total support during the year

For additional information about claiming elderly parents as dependents, please refer to the following link:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Steps-to-Claiming-an-Elderly-Parent-as-a-Depen...

He might be your "Medical Dependent." Here is the IRS wording on this situation

You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except that:
1. He or she received gross income of $4,050 or more in 2016,
2. He or she filed a joint return for 2016, or
3. You, or your spouse if filing jointly, could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2016 return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies