dmzskz

Can I deduct my bond payment on my home in Florida?

When my home was built there was a bond issued on all the homes in the community to cover the cost of things such as sewers, roads ect...
Mike9241

The charge on your tax bill is your annual common area maintenance charge. The bond amount, principle and interest are NOT tax deductible.

If the bond can be treated as a mortgage, then you could deduct the interest portion of the payment, if you can prove how much that is.  The bond would be treated as a mortgage if it is a lien against the house such that you could be foreclosed and lose your house if you did not make the bond payment.

The principal part of the bond payment, since it was for real property improvements, can be included in the cost basis of your home and may reduce your capital gains tax when you sell.

If the bond can be treated as a mortgage, then you can deduct the interest portion of the payment, if you can prove how much that was. The bond can be treated as a mortgage if it is a lien against your property such that you could be foreclosed and lose your home if you failed to make the bond payment.

Because it was used for property improvements, the principal portion of the bond payment can be included in your cost basis and may reduce your capital gains tax when you sell.