Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct mortgage interest on a non-US home, which is my place of residence and my only owned home?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I deduct mortgage interest on a non-US home, which is my place of residence and my only owned home?

Yes. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@rehsifgnik , Agreeing  with the short and to the point answer  by @Critter-3  to your questions, I just wonder  about the whole situation because there are lot of  assumptions we are making for the answer  --- (a) are you US citizen  / Green Card  ; (b) is/was this home your main residence   for the tax year;  (c) is your taxhome in that country where the  home is located;  (d) which country etc. etc.

It is not important that this is the only home you own --- only that you use it as your main residence and that your tax home is in the same place.  For example , you could live in the USA ( taxhome  USA)  in a rented home  ( as your main residence )  and have a second home  in Costa Rica ( for example )  where you plan to retire eventually. The mortgage interest is still deductible while you live in the USA as second home  ( within applicable limits ) and as main home  ( and for gain exclusion purposes ) when you go and retire there.

For your reference ,  ---> https://www.irs.gov/faqs/itemized-deductions-standard-deduction/real-estate-taxes-mortgage-interest-...

and of course --->  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p936.pdf

Please answer the questions  raised above -- the  general type of answer can be more focused to your situation.

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies