Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct mileage on my W-2's if I am commuting from the same home office as I report on my 1099's and there is no physical office?

I work in the motion picture industry as a freelancer and receive a combination of W-2 and 1099 forms. I made more income in 2017 with W-2's, all temp jobs such as an award show here or a week of editing there. I jotted down mileage for all jobs regardless because I operate a home business office. In most cases, there is no physical "office" to commute to but rather a parking structure where the job is performed or a rendezvous point before traveling together as a crew. My question then, regardless of the destination type, can my W-2 mileage be deducted if I'm commuting from the same home office I am reporting for my 1099 jobs? Or is there no double-dipping across W-2's and 1099's?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct mileage on my W-2's if I am commuting from the same home office as I report on my 1099's and there is no physical office?

If your home is your principal place of business, you can claim mileage from home to each destination whether it is a 1099 destination or a W-2 destination.

However, you cannot deduct the same trip for both your W-2 and 1099.

In other words, you cannot claim the same trip or deduction twice on a return-no double dipping.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If your home is your principal place of business, you can claim mileage from home to each destination whether it is a 1099 destination or a W-2 destination.

However, you cannot deduct the same trip for both your W-2 and 1099.

In other words, you cannot claim the same trip or deduction twice on a return-no double dipping.

If the W-2 work is performed onsite but all my administrative and managerial tasks for the job are still done exclusively from home, would it count as the principal place of business?

Yes.

Thank you!

Your welcome, thanks for choosing TurboTax!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies