Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mord0

Can I deduct medical payments for a dependent when monies come from dependent's account?

In this past year and in previous years, we've supported our daughter just about 100%. She did have a few part time jobs in previous years, but her total income was probably no more than $1,000, and she did not work at all this past year. Last year we paid for all her Doctor bills and medical expenses not covered by her insurance (which we also paid for). There were two payments she made out of a bank account she has (most all of monies in this account were from gifts we have given her) to two of the Doctors she has been seeing - one for $600.00 (Psychiatrist who was out of network) and one for $260 (Dentist). We have paid all the remaining bills to these two Medical professionals.

Can I deduct these payments as medical expense payments on my wife and my joint Income Tax return where our daughter is our dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Anita01

Can I deduct medical payments for a dependent when monies come from dependent's account?

You can always deduct medical expenses for you, your spouse, and your dependents.  The total medical expenses have to be over 10% of your adjusted gross Income, and then you only get a deduction for the excess over 10% (7.5% if you are 65 or over.)  It makes no difference whose account pays the bill

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies