turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i deduct medical insurance deducted from my paycheck?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

No.

Medical insurance deducted from an employee's paycheck is deducted before taxable income on your W-2. Deducting it as a medical expense would provide a double tax benefit.

See the following from IRS Publication 502:

Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance Plan

Don't include in your medical and dental expenses any insurance premiums paid by an employer-sponsored health insurance plan unless the premiums are included on your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Also, don't include any other medical and dental expenses paid by the plan unless the amount paid is included on your Form W-2.

Example.

You are a federal employee participating in the premium conversion plan of the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) program. Your share of the FEHB premium is paid by making a pre-tax reduction in your salary. Because you are an employee whose insurance premiums are paid with money that is never included in your gross income, you can't deduct the premiums paid with that money.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

No.

Medical insurance deducted from an employee's paycheck is deducted before taxable income on your W-2. Deducting it as a medical expense would provide a double tax benefit.

See the following from IRS Publication 502:

Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance Plan

Don't include in your medical and dental expenses any insurance premiums paid by an employer-sponsored health insurance plan unless the premiums are included on your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Also, don't include any other medical and dental expenses paid by the plan unless the amount paid is included on your Form W-2.

Example.

You are a federal employee participating in the premium conversion plan of the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) program. Your share of the FEHB premium is paid by making a pre-tax reduction in your salary. Because you are an employee whose insurance premiums are paid with money that is never included in your gross income, you can't deduct the premiums paid with that money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies