Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
salesy2k

Can I deduct a firearm if purchased through a private party? I am in law enforcement

I purchased it at the gun shop but one of the employees was selling it himself
Fern

Yes, you can deduct the cost of the firearm purchased. You should keep documentation of the purchase for your tax records. This purchase would be included in Employment Expenses in Turbo Tax.

Select Federal Taxes
Select Deductions and Credits
Select Show More at Employment Expenses
Select Start or Update at Job Related Expenses
salesy2k

I did receive a copy of dealers record of sale of firearm however there's no amount of how much I paid. Should I request something from the gun shop? And would I deduct the transfer and DOJ fees as well?
Fern

Yes, you should have something noting what you paid. You can include the transfer and DOJ fees in the cost of the gun.