jorhoades75

Can I claim the property taxes I paid through my closing costs on my new mortgage?

My 1098 does not show a property tax amount at all. My settlement paperwork does show the amount that went into escrow.

jerry2000
Alumni

You can deduct mortgage interest, points, and real estate property tax paid at closing. You report those expenses along with other mortgage interest/property taxes paid in the year at
Federal Taxes
Deductions And Credits
choose Explore on my own, if asked
My Home

All other costs paid at closing, including transfer taxes, "stamps", escrow fees, etc., are NOT deductible from current income, instead you add them to the cost basis of your home and you will get the benefit when you sell.

jerry2000
Alumni

Federal Taxes
Deductions And Credits
choose Explore on my own, if asked
My Home