Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

egonzalezb
Returning Member

Can I claim the American Opportunity Tax credit if I have been in college for over 4 years but hadn't earned my Bachelor's until 2021?

I enrolled in college back in 2014 and between October 2014 and March 2017 I earned an Associate Degree and a Certificate. 

After that I started my Bachelor's Degree in April 2017. I graduated in March 2021 and earned my full Bachelor's Degree. 

I have never claimed any education credits because during college I was an F-1 student and only gained residency for tax purposes starting in the Fall of 2019 therefore I couldn't claim any credits. However now I am a resident for tax purposes and I am unsure if I can claim the American Opportunity Credit for 2021.

I have been enrolled in college and earned college credits since 2014 which would be more than 4 years however I have only been earning Bachelor degree college credits since 2017.

Would I be eligible to claim that credit since I hadn't finished my Bachelor's Degree or because I have done other programs and earned credit for them since 2014 I wouldn't be eligible? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Can I claim the American Opportunity Tax credit if I have been in college for over 4 years but hadn't earned my Bachelor's until 2021?

Yes, assuming you are over 24 and no one else can claim you as a dependent on their return, if you were enrolled at least half time and have not had any state or federal felony convictions for drugs you would be able to claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit.

To claim the credit you must:

• Not have claimed it for any four prior tax years
  • Not have completed the first four years of your undergraduate degree at the beginning of the tax year
  • Be enrolled for at least one academic period in the tax year

Since you have not claimed the credit before and were working on your undergraduate degree, you can still claim the credit.  The first four years would be Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior, based on credits, not the actual number of years. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies