Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can i claim sales tax on an auto plus general general sales tax spent.in turbotax under estimates and other taxes paid / sales tax it seems like you can only enter one

You have come upon the solution finally. You can itemize all sales tax for which you have receipts. Since you have a receipt for the car, showing sales tax, there is no reason to list that by itself additionally.
panstix

Can i claim sales tax on an auto plus general general sales tax spent.in turbotax under estimates and other taxes paid / sales tax it seems like you can only enter one

where to claim auto sales taxes I spent ?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Sales taxes are only allowed as an Itemized Deduction on Schedule A.  For automobiles, this deduction only applies to sales taxes paid on new cars and trucks—not used ones—that weigh less than 8,500 pounds, plus motorcycles and motor homes. If you buy a vehicle for more than $49,500, you can only deduct the sales tax on that amount.

Congratulations on your purchase! Here's how to enter the sales tax you paid:

1. With your tax return open in TurboTax, search for sales tax and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  2. On the Sales Tax and Income Tax screen, select Continue with Sales Tax.
    • In the CD/download software, the screen name will be Let's Compare Your Sales Tax and Income Tax – click Try Sales Tax.
  3. When asked how you want to enter your sales tax, select EasyGuide.
  4. Answer the questions on the next few screens. When you get to the Major Purchases screen, answer Yes.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your info.

Related Information:

@panstix

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mojo10

I purchased a manufactured home this year.  The sales tax rate is considerably less than the standard sales rate for my state.  Turbo Tax will not allow the deduction since the rate is less than the standard sales tax rate.  How do I claim the amount of taxes paid on my manufactured home?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Amounts for sales taxes on food, clothing, medical supplies and motor vehicles are deductible as a general sales tax even if the tax rate was less than the general sales tax rate. However, as noted in TurboTax you can only add sales taxes paid on a manufactured home to the sales tax table amount if the tax rate is equal to the general sales tax rate.  

Here is an IRS fact sheet for reference and the applicable paragraph is extracted below from page 1.  

Generally, taxpayers may add to the table amount any sales taxes paid on: 

• A motor vehicle, but only up to the amount of tax paid at the general sales tax rate; and an aircraft, boat, home (including mobile or prefabricated), or substantial addition to or major renovation of a home, if the tax rate is the same as the general sales tax rate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mojo10

I had read that several times before asking y'all but it just didn't make sense especially considering the amount of tax I paid so that is why I reached out to you seeing if I missed something or could show it elsewhere on my return.  Another one of those mysteries in the IRS guidelines that make no sense.  

Thank you sir for the quick reply. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies