turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim parents as dependent when he had gross income of 10,000 in 2019 but first 4 months he was jobless and staying with me?

Hello There! Thanks in advance for helping.

My parents live with me and i rent a house. My mother doesn't work Father did start a new job in May'19. He earned around $10,000 till end of 2019. As the income is more than 4,500, he will file separately with my mom as dependent. Can i show him dependent on my returns for the first 4 moths? I live in NY state.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Rakesh

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Can I claim parents as dependent when he had gross income of 10,000 in 2019 but first 4 months he was jobless and staying with me?

There is no such thing as a part-year dependent.  Since your father's 2019 gross income was $4200 or more, you cannot claim him as a dependent.

You might advise him that he cannot claim his spouse as a dependent.  He should file a joint return instead.  A joint return can be filed even if one spouse had no income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you. Appreciate the prompt input on this question. I would follow the same. Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies