Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my office in my home a home office? I work for a company but am 100% virtual, no desk at the company office. If so, do I report it as a business?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Can I claim my office in my home a home office? I work for a company but am 100% virtual, no desk at the company office. If so, do I report it as a business?

Yes.  How you report it depends on whether you worked as a W-2 employee or  an independent contractor with income reported on Form 11099-Misc. 

If you are a W-2 employee and if the use of a home office was a Condition of employment or at the convenience of the employer you will be allowed to take a home office deduction if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A. 

If you were paid as an independent contractor and the company reported your income on Form 1099-Misc, you can take a home office deduction on Schedule C of your return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Are you an employee of the company and you receive a W-2?  Or are you self-employed?
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Yes.  How you report it depends on whether you worked as a W-2 employee or  an independent contractor with income reported on Form 11099-Misc. 

If you are a W-2 employee and if the use of a home office was a Condition of employment or at the convenience of the employer you will be allowed to take a home office deduction if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A. 

If you were paid as an independent contractor and the company reported your income on Form 1099-Misc, you can take a home office deduction on Schedule C of your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies