Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can I claim my $1,000 deductible for car damage from Hurricane Irma?

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Can I claim my $1,000 deductible for car damage from Hurricane Irma?

You can claim your car damage deductible as a casualty and theft loss.

As part of hurricane tax relief, you can deduct your loss (minus $500) along with your usual Standard Deduction. This means you’ll be able to claim everything you lost over $500 without having to itemize deductions on your taxes. 

Make sure to indicate in the My Info section that you were affected by a hurricane (see attached screenshot).

To enter your loss in TurboTax, please follow these steps:
  • Click on Search on the top right of your screen
  • In the search box, type casualty loss then click on the magnifying glass icon on the right
  • In the search result page, click on Jump to Casualty loss
  • TurboTax will take you through a questionnaire where you can enter the details of your loss


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies