Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim heat pump and spray foam insulation that i paid for out of pocket during new build construction since it was not part of the original build plans?

I got a yes and no on this same question so asking for clarity. During construction, I paid out of pocket to improve the insulation and AC unit, it was not bundled in the loan. I paid cash. It was not part of the build plans, i paid for the efficiency improvements and would like to claim it as such. But can I?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Can I claim heat pump and spray foam insulation that i paid for out of pocket during new build construction since it was not part of the original build plans?

If it was during construction, the answer is NO.

If it was after construction and you were living in the house, then the answer would be yes. 

Section A—Qualified Energy Efficiency Improvements Lines 17a Through 17e Line 17a. To qualify for the credit, any qualified energy efficiency improvements must have been for your main home located in the United States. See Main home, earlier. If you check the “No” box, you can't take the energy efficient home improvement credit. Line 17b. To qualify for the credit, you must be the original user of the qualified energy efficiency improvements. If you check the “No” box, you can't take the energy efficient home improvement credit. Line 17c. To qualify for the credit, the components must be reasonably expected to remain in use for at least 5 years on your main home located in the United States. If you check the “No” box, you can't take the energy efficient home improvement credit. Line 17d. Enter the complete address of your main home during 2023. You can only claim the energy efficient home improvement credit on one main home. Line 17e. You cannot claim the credit for expenses related to the construction of a new home. If you are claiming the credit only for expenses for qualified improvements to an existing home or for an addition or renovation to an existing home, check the “No” box. If the qualified improvements for which you are seeking to claim the credit are related to the construction of a new home, check the “Yes” box. If you check the “Yes” box, skip lines 18a through 20b.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies