pjrose

Can I claim a foster child who came to our home from the hospital, but was born on August 3 and remained in the hospital 3 months?

He was placed in our care and left the hospital on November 13, after more than 3 months in the hospital. He had never been outside of NICU following his birth.

I'm not clear on publication 17 "birth or death of child" section, what is meant by "except for any required hospital stay following birth". We've had him in our care since he was discharged from the hospital. I realize the typical rule for babies born in the last half of the year is "half of his life". So even though we did not  have him in our home for half of his life based on his birth date, we have had him all of his life outside of the hospital.

IreneS

Yes - You can claim him.  The child has lived with you all of his life (outside the hospital). 

IreneS

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing