turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pjrose

Can I claim a foster child who came to our home from the hospital, but was born on August 3 and remained in the hospital 3 months?

He was placed in our care and left the hospital on November 13, after more than 3 months in the hospital. He had never been outside of NICU following his birth.

I'm not clear on publication 17 "birth or death of child" section, what is meant by "except for any required hospital stay following birth". We've had him in our care since he was discharged from the hospital. I realize the typical rule for babies born in the last half of the year is "half of his life". So even though we did not  have him in our home for half of his life based on his birth date, we have had him all of his life outside of the hospital.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Can I claim a foster child who came to our home from the hospital, but was born on August 3 and remained in the hospital 3 months?

Yes - You can claim him.  The child has lived with you all of his life (outside the hospital). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Yes - You can claim him.  The child has lived with you all of his life (outside the hospital). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies