Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

damien-ch

Can a full time college student that is claimed on their parents return also take the standard deductions for their taxes. I don't see an option not to take the standard.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Can a full time college student that is claimed on their parents return also take the standard deductions for their taxes. I don't see an option not to take the standard.

Yes, you get a standard deduction even if you are claimed on your parent's return.   It is applied automatically, you don't need to select it.    Look on Line 12 on Form 1040.

If you are being claimed as a dependent, your Standard Deduction is lower.  For example, in 2023, the Standard Deduction for dependents is whichever is greater:

1. $1,250
  2. Earned income plus $400

Note that for option two, it can't equal more than the Standard Deduction for your filing status. So, if you are a single taxpayer under age 65, it couldn't exceed the $13,850 Standard Deduction for 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But your Standard Deduction might be limited.

The Standard Deduction for an individual for whom an exemption can be claimed on another person's tax return is limited to the greater of:

…..$1,250 or

…..Your earned income for the year + $400 (but not more than 13,850))

So you would get a minimum of $1,250.

See Table 8 Standard Deduction worksheet for Dependents on Page 26

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Or the 1040 worksheet on page 34

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies