Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Best tax strategy for first year rental property with no income yet

We bought a property (located in UK) towards the end of the year with the intent of using it as a vacation rental (i.e. Airbnb).
We obviously spent money to buy the property and renovate it. All this will be part of the costs basis.

The property was available for rent from mid-November but we didn't get any income before the end of the year. In the meantime we incurred a bunch of expenses: mortgage interests, bills, more repairs, cleaning, etc.
Since we generated zero income (and even worse, we had no guests) I believe we won't be able to report a loss that can offset other income (for instance W2). Is this correct?
And if so, what is the best way to handle the situation?

* Can I carry the losses forward to next year?
* Is it just better to say that the property was not available yet for rent and start deductions next year? I think in this cases I would lose most of the running costs like bills and cleaning, although some of the repairs could be capitalized

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Are you providing substantial services to your renters?

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040se#en_US_2023_publink24332td0e1069

Otherwise, if you have made the property available for rent, you can deduct typical rental real estate expenses in the tax year in which those expenses are incurred and paid.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I would argue that we supply substantial services (on call support, cleaning, hot tub, spa service, etc...).

If I do deduct the expenses, it will result in a loss. Can that loss be used against, say, a W2 income?

Yes, if you provide substantial services to your renters (as you indicated) then you should be reporting income and expenses on Schedule C.

If you have a net Schedule C loss, you can use that loss to offset all other types of income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies