Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband and his father own our home jointly. Is my father in law going to be responsible for paying taxes on the money we profit when we sell?

My father in law has never lived in our home, we have been in our home for 7 years. He has never contributed monitarily. When we sell we will profit 100,000 dollars. How does the 250/500 rule work. My husband and I have always claim the home on our taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

My husband and his father own our home jointly. Is my father in law going to be responsible for paying taxes on the money we profit when we sell?

As a part-owner of the home, your father-in-law will need to report his portion of the sale proceeds on his personal tax return. You and your spouse will report the other portion, but only if you have more than $500,000 in profit.

If you wish to avoid this situation, your father-in-law can file a Quit Claim Deed for his portion of the property. Check with a local real estate professional for assistance with this option.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

As a part-owner of the home, your father-in-law will need to report his portion of the sale proceeds on his personal tax return. You and your spouse will report the other portion, but only if you have more than $500,000 in profit.

If you wish to avoid this situation, your father-in-law can file a Quit Claim Deed for his portion of the property. Check with a local real estate professional for assistance with this option.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies