Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OK-Aunt

Are we able to deduct our insurance premiums as a business expense for the year since my husband was self-employed for five months in 2018?

My husband has Medicare B, D and supplemental premiums.  I have an individual plan.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Are we able to deduct our insurance premiums as a business expense for the year since my husband was self-employed for five months in 2018?

Partially, you will only be able to enter them for the 5 months he was self-employed. Insurance is counted on a monthly basis so you cannot deduct it for the 7 months he was not self-employed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Partially, you will only be able to enter them for the 5 months he was self-employed. Insurance is counted on a monthly basis so you cannot deduct it for the 7 months he was not self-employed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
OK-Aunt

That would seem logical, but I cannot find any publication that actually says you should deduct premiums only for the months in which your self-employment had income.  I also could not find in Turbo Tax anywhere that asked for the number of months with income or anywhere on Schedule C either. Could you send your source for this answer so I can put it in my tax file?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies