Are tax breaks refunded?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are tax breaks refunded?

I have Student Load Interest Paid, Other Income Taxes, and IRA contribution tax breaks that total $658, but I'm only getting refunded 11 for my federal refund. How is this possible?
1 Reply

Are tax breaks refunded?

Those items are deductions which help to reduce your taxable income, not credits which would reduce your taxes.  For example; if your W2 income was $9,500 it would be reduced by the $658 in deductions you have listed, to give you adjusted gross income of $8,842.  After subtracting your standard deduction and exemption you would get your taxable income. 

With a credit; if you owe $500 in taxes and you have a tax credit such as American Opportunity Credit for Education for $600 and you paid $2500 taxes for the year, you would get a refund of; $2,600 which is $500 taxes owed taken from the $600 credit, giving you a refund of $100, and as in this example, the education credit 'paid' for the taxes owed, you will also add the $2500 in taxes that was paid to receive a refund of $2,600 in credits.  For more information on the difference between deductions and credits please see; Turbo Tax - Difference Between A Tax Credit And A Tax Deduction.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings