turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are Supplemental Medicare Health Insurance not deductible unless you are self employed?

I pay for Supplemental Medicare Insurance and cannot find where I can enter it.  In previous years I have entered it in my Medical Deductible Section, but see NO PLACE to enter it.  I am having a problem in that section to get the Doctor visit mileage number to enter the worksheet.  The box stays pink and the number will not enter and I cannot progress in the form process. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Are Supplemental Medicare Health Insurance not deductible unless you are self employed?

Yes, Supplemental Medicare Health Insurance premiums are deductible. (of course they will only be deductible when over 7.5% of your AGI and you Itemize Deductions)  

In the desktop versions, click on the Federal tab and then Deductions & Credits along the top. 

Scroll down to Medical (first click SEE ALL if necessary)

Click Start for the last choice of that section titled "Medical Expenses"

Continue through the screens to get to "Medical Travel" this is where you enter the miles

The screen that follows Medical Travel is "Insurance Premiums" this is where you enter the Supplemental Health Premiums. 

The reply isn't clear:

"Yes" - deductible for everybody Or "Yes" - deductible ONLY if are self eployed?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Yes, these expenses are deductible for everyone, not just the self-employed.

You will need to itemized deductions on Schedule A to claim them, though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies