turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ptjoe909

Can I deduct several years of interest that I paid on my Home Equity Line of Credit that I've never deducted before, now?

I've had a Home Equity line of credit since 2005 and never deducted the interest I paid on it when doing my tax returns,that's 11 years worth of interest that I paid and never claimed.

I already did my tax return for 2017, so can I amend it or add the last 11 years of interest,  over 40,000.00 of interest?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct several years of interest that I paid on my Home Equity Line of Credit that I've never deducted before, now?

Unfortunately, per the IRS, you can only amend for a refund for 2014, 2015, and 2016.

See How Do I Amend a Return Already Filed?

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Unfortunately, per the IRS, you can only amend for a refund for 2014, 2015, and 2016.

See How Do I Amend a Return Already Filed?

And you need to do an amended return for each year separately.  Be sure to wait until you have your 2017 refund.  Be sure each amended return is mailed in its own envelope.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies