turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pjgsjhs67

Am I entitled to minnesota property tax refund?

The Minnesota Property tax refund form says I had to live there Jan 2, 2018.  I owned a different property in Minnesota on that date and bought the current property on April 13, 2018.  Am I still eligible for a property tax refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you still qualify for the Minnesota Homestead credit refund in 2018. 

There are two credits that you may qualify for. 

• You may be eligible for one or both of the following refunds if you owned and lived in your house on January 2, 2019.
    • Homestead credit refund. Your total household income for 2018 must be less than $113,150. The maximum refund is $2,770.
    • Special property tax refund. You must have owned and lived in your home both on January 2, 2018, and on January 2, 2019;
      • Your net property tax on your homestead must have increased more than 12 percent from 2018 to 2019;
      • The net property tax increase must be at least $100 and the increase must not be due to new improvements;
      • There is no income limit for the special property tax refund, and the maximum refund is $1,000.
According to the Minnesota Department of Revenue, if you file a Special property tax refund, but did not own and live in the home on January 2 you still qualify if you owned and lived in another home. However, the Minnesota Department might request that you complete a questionnaire. If asked to do so, follow the instructions below:
  • Complete the questionnaire using the information for the home you owned and lived in on January 2.
  • Provide a copy of the property tax statement for the home you owned and lived in on January 2.

Please view the Minnesota link below for more information.

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individuals/individ_income/Pages/HomesteadCreditRefundLetterFAQs-.as...

[Edited 04/11/2019 I 4:15 PM]

pjgsjhs67

How can I get a copy of the "questionaire"?
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I have edited my answer above. The questionnaire is only required to be completed if you receive a letter from the department of revenue. It relates to the Special Property refund portion of the credit only. Please view my edited answer above.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies