Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I considered legally blind? I have a prescription for -2.5 contacts in both eyes. It is on my drivers license and I can get a ticket for not having them in.

Do I qualify for the “legally blind” tax deduction?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Am I considered legally blind? I have a prescription for -2.5 contacts in both eyes. It is on my drivers license and I can get a ticket for not having them in.

The following is the criteria to be considered legally blind. 

"Anyone whose field of vision falls at or below 20 degrees, who wears corrective glasses but whose vision is 20/200 or less in their best eye, or who has no eyesight at all, meets the legal definition of being blind and is eligible for certain deductions." Tax Tips for the Blind

The fact that you have a drivers license says you probably are not considered legally blind.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Blind means your eyesight is not better than 20/200 even with correction.  

From the IRS:

Not totally blind.

If you aren't totally blind, you must get a certified statement from an eye doctor (ophthalmologist or optometrist) stating that:

1. You can't see better than 20/200 in the better eye with glasses or contact lenses, or

2. Your field of vision is 20 degrees or less.

If your eye condition isn't likely to improve beyond these limits, the statement should include this fact. Keep the statement in your records.

If your vision can be corrected beyond these limits only by contact lenses that you can wear only briefly because of pain, infection, or ulcers, you can take the higher standard deduction for blindness if you otherwise qualify.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies