Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BOBHHI

Allowable deduction

I am a handicapped person.In 2019 I purchased a handicap van with a ramp. The cost of the Handicap modifications were $26000 of a total cost of $52000. Is the disability modification cost deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Allowable deduction

Yes. The difference for the handicap modifications are deductible as a medical expense, for those amounts exceeding 7.5% of your adjusted gross income

To further clarify what is deductible and not deductible:

• Parking and tolls and medical miles using the standard mileage rate for 2019 of 20 cents are deductible to the extent the transportation is essential to medical care, such as for medically related appointments. 
  • The actual costs of vehicle maintenance and for operating the specially equipped car is not deductible.
mljoyce

Allowable deduction

I'd like to follow up on the handicap van deductibility question.  In my case a handicap van with ramp was required for my wife.  I was able to secure a used one that already had all necessary modifications.  My cost was $25,000 for the modified van.  How much of that is/would be deductible?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Allowable deduction

The amount that is deductible is the premium you paid for the modifications.  You would need to find the cost of the same van without modifications, then the difference between the two would be the amount you would be able to take as an itemized medical expense. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies