Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Adding child

Can I add my child to the tax return that has been filled already due dela caused by arranging social or ITIN for him/her?


Best Regards

4 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

Adding child

Yes.  If your child qualifies as a dependent you can amend your already filed return to add the child.  To qualify as a dependent your child must meet the following guidelines:

1. The child must be a US citizen, US resident alien, US national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.

2.  The child must be your child, stepchild, foster child, or a specific relative.

3.  The child must be under 19 or under 24 if they are a student.

4.  The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.

5.  The child did not provide more than half of their own support.

6.  The child is not filing a joint tax return.  This is mostly for older children.


As long as your child can be claimed as dependent per the guidelines above, you can file an amendment to claim the child as a dependent.  If you originally filed with TurboTax, you can use the information here to get help on filing an amendment:  How to file an amended return.

Returning Member

Adding child



is there a time limit when the child can be amended to already filled tax return?


Is the ITIN number still in existence?


Best regards

Employee Tax Expert

Adding child

You have three years from the original due date to file an amendment and claim a refund.  If you are not claiming a refund, then there is no limit to when you can file an amendment.


The child will need a social security number or ITIN in order to be claimed as a dependent.  You can find more information on how to obtain an ITIN here:  How do I apply for an ITIN.

Level 15

Adding child

Good news is you can amend to add the child once they have SS#  or  file the W-7 ITIN application with the amended return.   


Bad news, since you already filed the original return you will forfeit the CTC & EIC if eligible.  Sadly the TT program will give them to you but the IRS will deny you those credits ... expect this to happen and for the processing of the amended return to take 6 months or more once the ITIN has been issued.



How do I file with a W-7?

TurboTax doesn't include Form W-7, so you'll have to download it directly from the IRS, fill it in, and print it out (see these IRS instructions for help with that).

Then, complete your return as you normally would. Leave the applicant's Social Security Number field blank, and disregard any warnings about the empty field or missing health care info for the applicant.

When your return is finished, go to the File section and follow the steps to print a paper copy of your return, as you won't be able to e-file with a missing SSN.

Bring your printed, signed return (along with any attachments per the filing instructions, such as W-2s or 1099s), the completed W-7, proof of identity, and foreign status documents to your acceptance agent or an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

Alternatively, you can mail everything to:

Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

See also General ITIN Information at



The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes or PATH Act made several changes to the tax law, including preventing retroactive claims of the EITC and CTC by amending a return or filing an original return for any earlier year in which the individual or anyone listed on the return did not have a SSN valid for employment. You can't claim EITC or CTC unless the Social Security number for you, your spouse (if married filing a joint return) or a qualifying child is issued before the due date of the return including any valid extensions.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings