Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I drove my wife to Mexico for her to do charitable work; her meals & hotel were covered, travel & my meals were not - what is deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanO

I drove my wife to Mexico for her to do charitable work; her meals & hotel were covered, travel & my meals were not - what is deductible?

According to the IRS, these are not allowable deductions for you since the volunteer work was only done by your wife.

The test for the use of your car in order for you to deduct:

The amounts must be

• unreimbursed, and
  • directly connected with the services you gave, and
  • incurred only because of the services you gave, and
  • not personal, living or family expenses.

Meals are also only deductible for the person who provides the actual service as a volunteer.

The expenses cannot be personal or family.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick follow-up:  I drive her sometimes a couple of times a year so we have room for donated materials that she wouldn't be able to take on a flight.  Once there, because her expenses are covered, there is no problem about lodging for me.  However, what about my meals while down there, effectively waiting to drive her/us back to the US?  I am disabled & limited in my ability to contribute to the work down there, but still function as a "home base" and run errands as needed or requested while they are in the field.

PS - as of this year, the World Vision Int'l leader there said they will also pay for my meals in future trips.  The above scenario was for 2015 & 2016.

Thanks again...
DanO

According to the IRS, these are not allowable deductions for you since the volunteer work was only done by your wife.

The test for the use of your car in order for you to deduct:

The amounts must be

• unreimbursed, and
  • directly connected with the services you gave, and
  • incurred only because of the services you gave, and
  • not personal, living or family expenses.

Meals are also only deductible for the person who provides the actual service as a volunteer.

The expenses cannot be personal or family.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks TTDO!!  

Quick follow-up:  I drive her sometimes a couple of times a year so we have room for donated materials that she wouldn't be able to take on a flight.  Once there, because her expenses are covered, there is no problem about lodging for me.  However, what about my meals while down there, effectively waiting to drive her/us back to the US?  I am disabled & limited in my ability to contribute to the work down there, but still function as a "home base" and run errands as needed or requested while they are in the field.

PS - as of this year, the World Vision Int'l leader there said they will also pay for my meals in future trips.  The above scenario was for 2015 & 2016.

Thanks again...

Another "Dan"

Your meals would be a personal expense and not deductible.  Her meals might be if it is a qualified charitable origination recognized by the IRS.   Very few foreign charities that are not based in the USA qualify.   The charity could tell you if they meet the IRS requirements.    If not qualified then nothing can be deducted at all.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much, MacU!  Luckily the organization is based in the US which covers my wife.  Too bad I can't deduct anything for my contributions to the efforts made by her on their behalf.  Oh well...
DanO

Sounds like you are squared away...giving is always good.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies