Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

8812 Error

I received a notification that my taxes from 2021 were incorrect due to an error on schedule 8812. We have 3 children and our AGI was less than 150,000 that year. I see line 28 of form 1040 was entered as $6,750. My question is how was that amount calculated? I used Turbo Tax - was that amount entered by me or did the software enter that amount based on their calculations? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

8812 Error

When you prepared your 2021 tax return, you were supposed to enter any advance child tax credit payments that you received during the months of July 2021 and December 2021.    The IRS sent out letter #6419 to you that showed how much you received for the advance child tax credit. 

If you received monthly child tax credit payments of $250  (for children six or older) or $300 per month (for children under six)  between July and December of 2021, you had to enter the amount you received, and then you were eligible for the other "half" of the total amount of the CTC on line 28.

If you filed a joint return, they sent a letter to each spouse, and you had to enter the amounts from each of those letters.   A lot of people made mistakes with that, and ended up with reduced refunds as a result.

Check your online account with the IRS to see how much the IRS shows that they sent to you ---and if you filed a joint return, you need to check for both parents.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies