Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

2008 Homebuyer Credit Repayment - Why is form 5405 being deleted when I still owe credit repayment?

On the first page select "Yes" it was still your main home in 2019 and enter the date of purchase.  Continue through the interview and you will get to the question asking if the status has changed.  You select "NO" your situation changed, put in the date it changed and you can select the "military orders" exception.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
OHGP44

2008 Homebuyer Credit Repayment - Why is form 5405 being deleted when I still owe credit repayment?

I have read all the answers posted but none seem to address the problem.  I have the same problems with preparing my 2019 taxes.  I have used Turbo Tax since 2005.  I purchased my home in 2008 and received the $7500 homebuyer credit.  I have paid it back at $500 each year.  I sold my home in 2018 and therefore need to repay the remaining $3000.  But when I update the Homebuyer Credit Repayment in Turbo Tax, I have 3 choices when answering the question 'Did you get the homebuyer credit in 2008?': 

1. Yes, and the home I received the credit on was my main home on January 1, 2019. 

2.  Yes, but the home I received the credit on stopped being my main home on or before December 31, 2018.

3.  No, I never got the credit.

Since I sold my home in 2018, the correct answer is 2 but when I click the radio button for that, I am taken to a second screen asking if I am sure that I want to delete Form 5405.  If I answer no, Form 5405 is not deleted but Turbo Tax still shows paying $500 instead of the $3000 that I owe.  If I answer yes, Form 5405 is deleted and now it shows I don't owe anything.  If I file without form 5405, the IRS will reject my submission. 

If I sold my house in 2018, Turbo Tax should not delete form 5405 but should calculate the remainder of the credit to be paid. 

whbtdh
Returning Member

I have a similar situation. The only difference is we sold our house in 2018 and did not report the repayment.

I used walkaround method to report the change of the house, but Turbo Tax keeps telling me I need to fill the date with the current year as my sold date rather than the date in 2018.  I am wondering how you went through if your house was sold in 2017? Also, for any tax experts, how would we go about this (in addition to pay the remaining of the 1st time home buyer credit this time, and then do a amend tax for both 2018 and 2019)? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies