turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jjschel
Returning Member

My 1098 from my bank has a 0.00 in box two for outstanding mortgage.  TurboTax does not allow me to enter a 0.00.  That is what is on my form, so how do I get around this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If there was mortgage interest paid for 2020 (an amount in box 1), there had to be a balance on the loan in 2020.  You should contact your lender to find the balance on your loan as of 1/1/2020 or if funded/opened in 2020 what was the original amount of the loan? 

That amount needs to be in box 2. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jjschel
Returning Member

This is a HELOC. on Jan 1. 2020 I had a 0 balance. I took an advance during the year and paid interest. Turbotax needs to be fixed to account for this scenario. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If you know how much the load was, input that amount here.  Below is information from IRS.gov

Box 2. Shows the outstanding principal on the mortgage as of January 1, 2020. If the mortgage originated in 2020, shows the mortgage principal as of the date of origination. If the recipient/lender acquired the loan in 2020, shows the mortgage principal as of the date of acquisition.

jjschel
Returning Member

The load was 0.  When I opened the HELOC I did not take any money out.  You need to fix the program to allow 0 in box 2.  It does occur.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue with their home mortgage average balance. This can cause the home mortgage interest to be incorrectly limited.  This may be affecting your tax return.

Please sign up for email notifications when an update related to this issue is available here.

See also this TurboTax Help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies