turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098 interest not being deducted correctly

There seems to be an error in the 1098 logic for a primary residence.  I am entering a refinanced loan (done in 2020) of a 2014 mortgage (with no cash out) and when specifying that this is a refinance of a previous loan (with no cash out), TT then asks "when did you buy the home with the loan of (my lender)."  If I use the date for the refi, all seems to be well, but the deduction is limited to the $750k mortgage interest cap rather than the 1m cap.  If I specify the original purchase date (7/2014) as the current loan origination date, the mortgage deduction disappears altogether... However, if I choose the option that "my name is not first on the 1098," the logic does other wonky things, like putting a negative number on "mortgage not included in 1098" on my schedule A.  Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MayaD
Expert Alumni

The issue has been resolved. Please update your software and revisit the Mortgage Interest section.

Enter the original purchase date (7/2014) and continue. After answering yes to the question in the image below and entering the outstanding loan balance, you should see the deductible amount of mortgage interest.  

Refinanced home acquisition debt.

Any secured debt you use to refinance home acquisition debt is treated as home acquisition debt. However, the new debt will qualify as home acquisition debt only up to the amount of the balance of the old mortgage principal just before the refinancing. Any additional debt not used to buy, build, or substantially improve a qualified home isn't home acquisition debt. irs.gov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

MayaD
Expert Alumni

The issue has been resolved. Please update your software and revisit the Mortgage Interest section.

Enter the original purchase date (7/2014) and continue. After answering yes to the question in the image below and entering the outstanding loan balance, you should see the deductible amount of mortgage interest.  

Refinanced home acquisition debt.

Any secured debt you use to refinance home acquisition debt is treated as home acquisition debt. However, the new debt will qualify as home acquisition debt only up to the amount of the balance of the old mortgage principal just before the refinancing. Any additional debt not used to buy, build, or substantially improve a qualified home isn't home acquisition debt. irs.gov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This now appears to work correctly.  Thank you for addressing.  I am worried that previous years did not calculate correctly and I will need to go back and review.  It might be worthwhile to update the question on TT that asks "When did you buy the home with the loan from Lender XYZ?" as that doesn't make sense if the loan is a refi...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies