turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No they took out the state of California and I lived and worked in Ct on my W2 What state do I file Ct. or California?

The company said they will not correct the w2

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

No they took out the state of California and I lived and worked in Ct on my W2 What state do I file Ct. or California?

You'll have to file in California to get your refund and CT because it's where you need to pay income taxes. You are correct that if you never worked in CA, you shouldn't pay CA state income tax. 

On your CA return, don't report any income allocable to the state. CT will automatically tax your income because it's your resident state. Be sure to update your CA return first.

Keep in mind, you can only e-file state returns with your federal returns (for security reasons). If you need more time to get your refund and pay CT taxes with it, you can e-file federal with CA. 

Then you could print CT and submit it at the deadline. The state will send you a letter once it's been processed telling you the date by which you must make your state tax payment to avoid fines and penalties. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

You'll have to file in California to get your refund and CT because it's where you need to pay income taxes. You are correct that if you never worked in CA, you shouldn't pay CA state income tax. 

On your CA return, don't report any income allocable to the state. CT will automatically tax your income because it's your resident state. Be sure to update your CA return first.

Keep in mind, you can only e-file state returns with your federal returns (for security reasons). If you need more time to get your refund and pay CT taxes with it, you can e-file federal with CA. 

Then you could print CT and submit it at the deadline. The state will send you a letter once it's been processed telling you the date by which you must make your state tax payment to avoid fines and penalties. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies