turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have 1099-R from New York State. I live in North Carolina. For boxes 12-14, NY is already filled in on the Turbo Tax form. Should I leave it NY or change to NC?

I used Turbo Tax last year, so some info is already filled in.  Do I leave Boxes 12-14 with the NY info since the $$ originates there, or change it ot NC because I live here?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I have 1099-R from New York State. I live in North Carolina. For boxes 12-14, NY is already filled in on the Turbo Tax form. Should I leave it NY or change to NC?

You can't change what's on the real 1099-R, but you don't need to file a NY return if you don't live there. The state entry on the 1099-R doesn't mean much in Turbo Tax, unless they withheld NY taxes. Did they?

Changing to NC isn't going to make any difference inside Turbo Tax, but you certainly need to leave as NY if NY tax was withheld. If it wasn't, you can change to NC...but whether you do so or not isn't important.

As a resident of NC, your retirement income will automatically be accounted for on that return regardless of how you input the 1099R. Many 1099 forms don't list a state at all.

To avoid problems with NY, talk to the administrator of the retirement income and inform them that you aren't a NY resident anymore. NY shouldn't be on your 1099-R if you don't live there.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/pit/ny_source_income_nonresident.htm

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You can't change what's on the real 1099-R, but you don't need to file a NY return if you don't live there. The state entry on the 1099-R doesn't mean much in Turbo Tax, unless they withheld NY taxes. Did they?

Changing to NC isn't going to make any difference inside Turbo Tax, but you certainly need to leave as NY if NY tax was withheld. If it wasn't, you can change to NC...but whether you do so or not isn't important.

As a resident of NC, your retirement income will automatically be accounted for on that return regardless of how you input the 1099R. Many 1099 forms don't list a state at all.

To avoid problems with NY, talk to the administrator of the retirement income and inform them that you aren't a NY resident anymore. NY shouldn't be on your 1099-R if you don't live there.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/pit/ny_source_income_nonresident.htm

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies