Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tcamerrer

What does the e-file cost for Hawaii State Tax Return?

I filed electronically my Hawaii State tax return and was charged 19.99 plus a convenience fee.  Total amount was around $44.00.  This is contrary to what is advertised.  Please explain why I was charged the extra amount.  I understand the 19.99 charge but not the convenience fee charge.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It's a 39.99 service fee (44.99 for California filers) for paying any fee out of the Federal refund.   It's not specifically because of that 19.99 state efile fee, but any fee in desktop or Online TurboTax as well, or for any option such as Audit Defense, etc.   So anyone in any state who paid a fee by that method would have the additional service fee.

When choosing that option, there should have been a banking agreement you had to accept.   The process allows a third-party company to open a temporary bank account in your name to receive the funds from the IRS.  They then subtract the fees, then send the rest to your bank (or card).   Then they close that temporary bank account they opened.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Did you possibly owe federal taxes and use a credit card to pay those taxes?
*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

How did you pay?   Did you choose to pay the 19.99 fee out of your Federal refund?  If so, that method has an additional 39.99 service fee (44.99 for California filers.)
Or did you pay by credit/debit card?
tcamerrer

Yes I did pay the fees out of my federal refund, but the additional fee was unexpected.
tcamerrer

Does every state have this additional fee of 39.99?  I am from Hawaii and never had to pay this fee before.

It's a 39.99 service fee (44.99 for California filers) for paying any fee out of the Federal refund.   It's not specifically because of that 19.99 state efile fee, but any fee in desktop or Online TurboTax as well, or for any option such as Audit Defense, etc.   So anyone in any state who paid a fee by that method would have the additional service fee.

When choosing that option, there should have been a banking agreement you had to accept.   The process allows a third-party company to open a temporary bank account in your name to receive the funds from the IRS.  They then subtract the fees, then send the rest to your bank (or card).   Then they close that temporary bank account they opened.

tcamerrer

No.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies