Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Working in NY but living in Philadelphia

I'm living in Philly, but working in NY and my W2 box 20 has the locality name as PHILADEL but Turbotax gives me an error saying that isn't acceptable (NYC or YON are the options). What am I suppose to do in this case? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are understanding that correctly.  

Go back to your W-2 in the federal section.  In the local tax section do you see right before box 18 a box that says Select a State?  In that box, you will need to select PA.  This is likely where the error is coming from.  This is different from your state entries in boxes 15-17.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Are you working in NYC or Yonkers or just the state of NY? Where are you getting this message?

If you are just working in the state of NY, then as you walk through and answer the questions about NYC and Yonkers, just say no, you do not live or work there and continue through.  If you are not living in NYC or Yonkers, there is no affect on your return as returns other than NYC and Yonkers are not filed through TurboTax, they are filed with the local taxing authority.

If you do work in NYC or Yonkers, and your box 20 says Philadelphia, then this means that your employer withheld and paid taxes to Philadelphia for you, but not NYC or Yonkers so your associated state should be PA not NY. 

When you entered your W2, what was the associated state for Philadelphia?  PA or NY?

NYC Income Taxes

(Edited 2/28/24 @ 7:53AM PST) @butimnotachef

Thanks so much for your help! I'm getting the error at the end of the Federal tax return where its flagged by the smart check.

I am working in NYC and on the W2 it shows the state as NY (not PA), but the locality withholding is for Philadelphia. I thought this would be expected - since I'm not living in NYC I shouldn't be subject to the local tax and instead am taxed in Philly. And then for state, I am taxed in NY but then can claim a credit on PA return. Is that understanding correct? 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are understanding that correctly.  

Go back to your W-2 in the federal section.  In the local tax section do you see right before box 18 a box that says Select a State?  In that box, you will need to select PA.  This is likely where the error is coming from.  This is different from your state entries in boxes 15-17.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies