Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tori27

Working in a state with reciprocity and moving to a state without

How do I handle filing taxes when I was a part year resident in NJ that worked in PA. But then moved to FL and still received severance payments from my PA job. I know I need to file NJ as a part year resident and answered the question about income earned while in new jersey. But then moving to Florida do I also now need to file a PA state? And with that, does Philadelphia municipality local taxes come off as a deduction/paid taxes to the state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Working in a state with reciprocity and moving to a state without

Yes, file a nonresident Pennsylvania income tax return for your severance payment.

Pennsylvania says, “Severance payments received from services that were performed in PA would be taxable to PA even if you are no longer a PA resident with the exception if you move to a reciprocal state.  Due to the reciprocal agreement PA would not tax you on this income if you moved to Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana, Ohio, Maryland or New Jersey.”

You cannot claim a tax credit on the Pennsylvania tax return for Philadelphia wage tax. You can file a wage refund petition with the Philadelphia Department of Revenue as you did not work in Philadelphia when you received your severance. Your former employer must sign this.

You can find the necessary forms and instructions at Wage Tax refund form (salaried employees).

In summary, file a part-year NJ income tax form reporting all your income except the severance. Claim a credit for Philadelphia Wage Tax. If you only received one W-2, you will have to adjust the other state credit and subtract out your severance and Philly wage tax portion.

File a non-resident Pennsylvania income tax form to report the severance payment.

File a Philadelphia Wage Tax refund form for any Philadelphia wage tax withhold on your severance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies