Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I get my state refund on it's original date if I amended before my refund comes?

I amended my taxes to add a new W-2. I already got my federal refund and now I'm waiting for my state. I amended my taxes before my state refund was fully processed. Will my state refund arrive when when my amended taxes come, or will it still be on the original date? I always get my state taxes within 3 weeks. It's been a whole month.

I filed my taxes on 1/30, amended on 2/15.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Will I get my state refund on it's original date if I amended before my refund comes?

It can take up to 20 weeks for an amended federal tax return to process.  Depending on your state, it could take even longer (e.g., it takes 4 - 6 months in California).  Since you amended your state return before the original return finished processing, there can be some confusion.

Which  state do you live in?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I currently live in California. 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

It is possible that the state caught the error and that is the reason your return has not yet been processed.  It is not a good idea to file the amended return prior to your return being processed.  It is possible that the amended return got matched to your original return and is creating a hold up which may cause it to take the 4 to 6 months for the state to process your return since they have the amended return.

The best way to get the most accurate answer is to us CA Where's My Refund or call the CA FTB to see what is happening with your return. 

I got called Franchise Tax Board, and the representative on the phone said yes my state taxes would be taking longer to process because of the amended. The first line I called was a Business line and the representative said there's still a chance it's just processing longer, but my State taxes never took longer than 3 weeks. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You know they have both your original return and the amended return, so that is a good thing.  They will send you a notice if there is an issue with either return.   Whenever you file an amended return, with a state or the IRS, expect delays.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies