turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Intuit Alumni

Why is MD state asking for a payment on income taxes for an S Corp?

Are any of the S-Corps' shareholders nonresidents of Maryland?  Payment of the Maryland income tax is not required with the filing of Form 510 unless the pass-through entity is subject to the nonresident member tax.

According to the Comptroller of Maryland's website :

Nonresident members.

If a pass-through entity has a nonresident member and any nonresident taxable income, then the pass-through entity is subject to the Maryland income tax. The pass-through entity is taxed on the nonresident taxable income, which is the sum of the nonresident members' distributive or pro-rata shares of the pass-through entity's income allocable to Maryland.

A "nonresident member" includes a nonresident individual member (defined as a person or fiduciary) and a nonresident entity member. A nonresident entity member is a corporation or pass-through entity that is not qualified or registered with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation to do business in Maryland or not formed under Maryland law.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member

Why is MD state asking for a payment on income taxes for an S Corp?

I am a non-resident of Maryland, resident of CO, BUT I am paying Maryland state taxes every month AND I file a Maryland personal/individual state return each year which has the 5.75% normal state income tax PLUS the non-resident 1.75% tax which you are mentioning. I would *have* to if my S Corp business operates partially in MD. I can't have the business pay a corporate tax anyway - it is a pass-through entity. I have to pay all the MD taxes for the business income and my own wages on my personal/individual return. Otherwise I am getting taxed twice for the business income.

The quote from the website above says that I have to pay MD income tax - that quote from the website does not anywhere say that I have to file that tax on the 510 (business return). As long as I pay it on the individual return, it should be fine? In any case, it is a pass through entity, and such entities aren't suppose to pay any tax on their business returns - always only on the individual return - it is so for the 1120S and the Colorado 106 (which is where I reside). TurboTax is telling me that I have to pay this on the 510D, and has prepared a voucher for me and everything. Please confirm that if I am paying this 5.75% MD state tax plus the non-resident 1.75% MD tax on my personal MD return on everything including the business side income, then I am good to not pay it on the 510 for MD.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies