KevinPeshick

Why is it using a second state?

I'm trying to do my brother's tax return. He lives in Ohio.  Previously I did my return for which I bought the Michigan State program. I bought the Ohio program for my brother. Why when I run my brother's return does it say I have a resident tax issue with Michigan? It seems to have started a Michigan return for my brother? Does it automatically generate tax returns for every state program I have? I only need an Ohio return for him!

Why is it using a second state?

You did start a New Tax Return for your brother by clicking on the File menu at the top left of the program screen and then click on New Tax Return, correct?

In the Personal Info section when entering his information you should have selected Ohio as his resident state.  You should also have indicated that he did Not live in any other states and that he did Not earn any money in any other states (if that is accurate).  If that is how you entered his information then the only state tax return would be for Ohio.

Check his information in the Personal Info section of the program, is it correct?

KevinPeshick

Why is it using a second state?

Ohio was selected as his state of residence and "Other State Income" says "None." 

Why is it using a second state?

@KevinPeshick wrote:

Try removing the unwanted state from his tax return using the procedure in this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-clear-my-state-return-in-the-turbotax-fo...